Thursday, August 13, 2009

Ruel

One of my longer runs was from Hyde Park to deepest darkest Kenilworth and back. It was not that hard although the 52.5 miles seemed like a lot because I had my great friend Jamie Kalven to run with. We spent most of the time talking and so the day went along wonderfully except, of course, for the thunderstorm. In Southern Leyte I have found a great running partner who I hope Jamie and I can both run with. His name is Ruel.

Ruel is in his 20's and hadn't run much before I went to the track at Southern Leyte State University with him and Christian Niez. It was a bit humid, but Ruel put on an extra sweatshirt so he would sweat. It wasn't because he wanted to sweat away any pounds. He is maybe five feet four inches tall and maybe he weighs 100 pounds although that doesn't seem too likely. He didn't complete the first run with me because of cramps in his legs, but the next day he was ready for more. I told him we should run slower--hinay daghan. I had to figure out what to say because Ruel's English is like my Cebuano. Ha ha. With Jamie the question is when will we ever stop talking, and with Ruel the question is will we ever stop using charades to communicate. It is actually a lot of fun to figure out how to communicate on such limited vocabularies

Ruel helped his father build the Payag where I stayed in Bontoc. As a carpenter's helper he made about three dollars a day. When he is not working construction, he helps with the family karaoke machine which is used extensively by the neighbors. He is a quiet and very humble person, and I have gotten to really like him. I bought him a stopwatch. Believe it or not, you can buy stopwatches for four dollars here, but the watch barely dangles on his wrist he is so skinny. I also gave him one of my running shirts as a "remembrance". As I was leaving Bontoc he said what many Filipinos say, "Happy trip" and then he added, "I will miss you." I got ready to carry my bag to the road, and he insisted on carrying it. Everyone, by the way, insists that I am not to carry anything here or to do any dishes. They insist on doing it. It was amazing to see Ruel pick up the luggage which was at least sixty pounds and carry it on his shoulder.

I told Ruel I want him to continue running. We decided on a training plan of forty minutes a day starting hinay and getting faster--pas pas. Then, I added, start running hills for strength. He smiled and touched his thighs to show that he knew they would get sore.

So if you are reading this Jamie, I expect to see you here soon to see if my coaching has led to a future Olympian.

I am hoping too that we can develop some jobs here in Southern Leyte to take advantage of the skills of men like Ruel. He is the kind of worker any company would love to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment