Thursday, July 30, 2009

Bontoc Celebrations

I arrived in Bontoc, and settled into my payag. A payag is like a cottage on the ocean, and this is a beautiful one. Unlike many of the homes which are cinder block with a tin roof, this payag is in the traditional style with wood and bamboo and a nipa roof. I am literally on the water. At high tide, the water is under the house and I can hear the lapping of the waves. There are so many kids here, and I have taught several to juggle already. Filipino kids really seem well coordinated compared to American kids and they love to perform so learning how to juggle is just another way to do that. Many of the kids remember Asa and Elliot from two years ago, and today as I was playing my flute one of them said, "Two boys." His English did not extend much farther than that and finally I realized what he was talking about, and said, "Yes, Elliot and Asa."

Bontoc is not a big town but yesterday it celebrated its 59th year as a town and there was a parade with four marching bands. The bands have drummers, people playing chimes, girls twirling batons, and drum majorettes. Then there were hundreds of kids and adults joining in. During the evening there was a disco. Generally what I have noticed is that small towns have a city hall and a covered pavilion with a basketball court. That was where the disco was held, and there must have been between one and two thousand people dancing there! The speakers were put on so loud that I was expecting that people in Chicago would be able to hear. The mayor here has gotten to know me, and I was seated next to the chief of police who ordered me to dance. Hey, I always do what the chief of police orders!! And I am thankful that Filipinos are polite enough not to laugh at my dancing even though lots smiled. ha ha

The Philippines has so many friendly people, and I have made it a habit of saying hi to everyone who looks my way, and invariably people will wave back or ask where I am from.

I have recently begun to see signs that medical tourism and eco-tourism are being included among the sources of livelihood here. Medicine, nautical and information technology are the three biggest programs that my students are going into, and I have made a note to see if I can get some people to mentor some of the kids here in information technology.

Well, I have to run now. Literally. ha ha

No comments:

Post a Comment