Thursday, July 30, 2009

Human Sardines

The students I have in Manila are some of the greatest kids I have ever met, and so are the people in the Mission Ministeries Philippines. However, I so much prefer the provinces to Manila. Manila is big and congested, and the provinces are just so beautiful and friendly.

I took a plane to Tacloban where I splurged and stayed in the Leyte Hotel. It is a beautiful place and the evening I was there I saw a singer guitarist perform. The sign said her name was Linda David and she reminded me of my great friends Ester Hana and Danny Buenconsejo. When she asked for requests, I asked if she would sing Freddy Aquilar's song "Anak." I actually met Freddy Aquilar the first time I was in the Philippines. If you haven't heard it, get on YouTube and listen to it. Better yet, call up Ester Hana and ask to hear her version of it.

Next day I took a van to Sogod. It only took an hour for the van to fill up but when there were fifteen of us, they were ready to go. A few miles down the road we got a 16th passenger and like sardines we made our way South. It always amazes me to see how Filipinos seem to get so many people into a a vehicle.

The vendors at the bus stops seem to look forward to seeing Americans and selling peanuts, sunglasses, mangoes and everything else under the sun. The bargaining is great fun and goes on a a relatively furious pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment