Monday, July 27, 2009

Busy Beginning



July 25, 2009

The plane rides to the Philippines were long and eventful. I thought for a while that I would miss my connection in San Fransisco, and nearly lost my wallet. But a wonderful Chinese student came running up to me to return it. I was grateful that I gave him a big hug then ran on the plane. Wish I knew his name so I could thank him.

By the time I reached Manila I had been traveling for 27 hours, and I had been awake for fourteen hours before I even started. I know that I slept about two hours, but it could have been more. I took a taxi first to visit Mary Joyce and her family in Payatas. You might remember her if you look on my blog from two years ago. We had a good time visiting and then I took Mary Joyce's older sister Kaye and her brother Moy to Jolliebee to eat. My good friend Flor came to get me to take me to Payatas where I have done tutoring in the past. After I put my head down for a short nap, I fell sound asleep for four hours.

Today was wonderful.

I went to a poor area called Pinalagad Malinta Valenzuela where the group that I am staying with--Mission Ministries Phillipines- has a program and gives food to kids. I juggled for the kids there, and had a great time with them. Then I met with five students that I tutored last year and the year before. I took them to a mall and had them buy clothes. Then we went to a restaurant where I met my old friend Sterling and her three month old son. She is from Bohol and is married to an American, and may after all this time get a Visa to the US. Once there I called up Jo Jo Sayson who is in in the Philippine Coast Guard Auxiliary. He introduced me to one of his military friends, Jerry Simon, who is helping them set up a school in Zambales for Aeta children. My students were quite impressed. I am not sure that they have been in malls much and it was there first time going on the train. Jo Jo was in some television programs a couple of years ago playing spiderman. I will videotape the students tomorrow when we go to the ecopark.

1 comment:

  1. Danilo BuenconsejoAugust 3, 2009 at 7:30 AM

    hello zeus,
    Great Travelogue have in here.
    Greeg and I will working on our music tomorrow.
    The DaVinci/Galelio and the Dance/Singing group did an excellent performance before their parents, schoolmates teachers and guests.

    salamat,
    dani

    ReplyDelete